Monday 4 May 2015

High Street Wine Challenge: Pezenas, ALDI

I've been hearing a lot of exciting things about the wine range at ALDI so this week I'm trying one of their more premium wines at a "whopping" £9.99.


Pezenas is an appellation in the Herault valley in the Languedoc, where the sun shines brightly and the wind keeps the grapes dry and disease free. This wine is just one of 36,000 bottles, a tiny production which explains some of the price.

A blend of Syrah, Grenache, Carignan and Mourvedre, aged for 12 months in oak, this wine smells of blueberries and liquorice. It took a little while to open up (I'd definitely recommend decanting), and it's quite high in acidity so I made a big mistake serving this with cheese on toast. It would've been far tastier alongside a roast leg of lamb! There is a lot of sweet, ripe blackberry fruit, vanilla spice and rosemary, some lovely flavours once you get past the acidity. I feel like I haven't done it real justice with my food choice as it has the potential to be a very yummy wine - perhaps someone can try it with their Sunday lunch and let me know? An exciting red nonetheless, well done ALDI.

Happy Swigging!

No comments :

Post a Comment